Constipation is a gastric disorder characterized by infrequent stools, difficult stool passage with pain and stiffness. Constipation is the most common condition which affects around 1% to 80% population worldwide.
Symptoms of constipation
Symptoms of constipation may vary from person to person, But following is the list of common symptoms which are noted in constipation.
- Having difficulty in passing the stools,
- Stomach pain,
- Pain while passing the stools,
- Fewer than three bowel movements a week,
- Stomach gas and bloating,
- Feeling of not getting completely emptied your bowels after a movement.
- Need to put pressure on stomach to pass the stools.
Causes of symptoms
There are many causes of constipation, based on lifestyle changes, use of medications and gastric disorder.
- Lack of fiber consumption,
- Not drinking enough water,
- Anxiety and Stress,
- Eating large amounts of milk or cheese.
- Regular consumption of alcohol,
- Resisting the urge to have a bowel movement.
- In pregnancy
Medications which causes constipation
All those drugs which relaxes the muscles in the body, also relaxes muscle of the gut which causes the constipation.
Following is the list of medication is known to cause constipation.
- Calcium supplements,
- Iron supplements,
Disorder which causes constipation
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Diverticular Disease
- Intestinal Obstruction
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
Treatment of constipation
Prescription drugs are available to get relief from constipation. Following is the list of medications prescribed by the doctor.
- Lubiprostone – It acts locally in the intestine by softening the stool, increases intestinal transit, and improves symptoms of constipation.
- Plecanatide – This drug works by drawing water into the gastrointestinal tract, thereby softening stool and encouraging its natural passage.
- Lactulose – It is a laxative drug which acts by breaking down bacteria in the colon and drawing for water in the colon to softening the stools.
Home remedies for constipation
Ancient home remedies are said to be a more conventional treatment in the constipation.
1.Eat more fiber
Fiber is most commonly used mineral to treat the constipation, Eat high fiber vegetables and fruits like beans, broccoli, berries, avocado, popcorns, apples, dried fruits, whole grains, potatoes, nuts.
According to this study, 77% of people with constipation benefited from increased consumption with fiber.
This study suggests psyllium was 3.4 times more effective than insoluble wheat bran for increasing stool output.
Caffeine said to stimulate the muscles in the stomach, which triggers the bowel movements.
Coffee also contains some amounts of soluble fibers which further helps in softening the stools and also improve the gut bacteria.
People with frequent constipation should daily consume a drink of coffee to get long time relief from the frequent constipation.
3.Try Herbal Laxative
Since ancient time Senna is an herbal laxative which is used in the management of constipation.
Senna mainly contains glycosides which stimulate the nerves in the gut and help speed up bowel movements.
Generally senna is not recommended during the pregnancy and in children’s. Consult a doctor for alternative medicine.
When to seek doctor’s help
Contact your nearby doctor if:
- You are having constipation for more than 10 days,
- You are having problem of frequent constipation,
- You are having serious stomach pain,
- You have serious trouble in passing stools.