About GLP 1 Pill
GLP 1 Pill are those pills which works as a GLP-1 receptor agonist mainly used in the management of type 2 diabetes.
These Pills effectively treat low blood glucose levels and hemoglobin A1C and to aid in weight loss.
Key benefits of GLP 1 Pill:
- Controls blood sugar level
- Appetite suppresant
- Generates efficient amount of insulin in the pancreas required in the management of type 2 diabetes.
- Slower the rate of digestion which helps in the post-meal blood glucose level.
GLP 1 Pill List
There are various GLP 1 agonist pill available in the market, they all have their pro’s and cons so chose according to your needs.
Following is the lists of the GLP 1 agonist pill:
Exenatide is an synthetic GLP-1 receptor agonist which works by increasing glucose-dependent insulin secretion from the pancreatic β-cells.
This pill also, reduces hunger and gastric emptying time to effectively manage post-meal blood glucose level.
Initially, 5 mcg bid two times a day which may increased to 10 mcg two times a day depending on your response to the treatment.
Exenatide is a kind of GLP 1 Pill which should be administered 60 minutes before a meal with atleast 6 hours of interval between two doses.
- Avoid drinking of alcohol & driving vehicle after taking GLP 2 Pill.
- Patient with risk of pancreatitis should avoid this.
2. Victoza (liraglutide)
Victoza (liraglutide) works by three way actions:
- Reduces the stomach emptying time,
- Prevent liver from making too much of sugar,
- Helps pancreas to produce more insulin when body has high glucose liver.
Usual dose of Victoza (liraglutide) is 0.6 mcg per day for a week then this might be increased to 1.8 mcg per day until we optimum blood glucose levels.
- Patients with thyroid or cancerous tumors should talk to doctor first before taking this GLP 1 Pill.
- This may worsen your infection or spread it more further.
Lixisenatide works by stimulating glucagon-dependent insulin secretion which effective maintains the blood sugar level in type 2 diabetes patients.
Usual dose of lixisenatide is 10 mcg per day from first two weeks, this may be increased to 20 mcg per day.
In case of missed dose you should take it before 1 hour of the next dose.
- People with kidney and liver disorders should talk to doctor before taking this GLP 1 Pill.
- Not suitable for type 1 diabetes mellitus.
Dulaglutide works by increasing intracellular cyclic AMP (cAMP) in pancreatic beta cells which stimulates the release of insulin.
This GLP 1 Pill also reduces the stomach emptying time by suppressing glucagon secretion in a glucose-dependent manner.
Dulaglutide usually comes in once a week. Initially, 0.75 mg once weekly, which may be increased to 1.5 mg once weekly.
- Patients with high risk and history of hypersensitivity, pancreatitis and severe gastrointestinal disease should talk to a doctor before starting this GLP 1 Pill.
- Pregnant & Nursing mothers should avoid this pill.
Semaglutide is usually given as adjunct therapy, it works by increasing glucose-dependent insulin secretion in the pancreas to counter the imbalance of glucose level in body.
Initially, 3 mg once daily for 1 month, then increased to 7 mg once daily for at least 1 month.
Usual prescribed dose of semaglutide is 3 mg once a day. this may be increased to 7 mg once a day for one month.
- Discontinue this pill at least 2 months before a planned pregnancy.
- Patients with history of angioedema should talk to a doctor before starting this pill.
Side effects of GLP 1 Pill
Like any other pill, GLP 1 Pill may cause some mild to moderate side effects.
However, there is nothing to worry about as they are very rare and most people don’t even get them.
Common side effects of GLP 1 Pill are:
- abdominal pain or distension,
- Decreased appetite,
Most of these side effects do not require any kind of special treatment as they usually go away once our body gets adapted to it.
However, you should talk to your doctor if any of these side effects do not go away and bother you in your life.
Drug interactions of GLP 1 Pill
Drug interactions can change the way other medications work and may produce some undesired side effects.
Following is the list of drugs that interact with GLP 1 Pill:
You should also inform your doctor about your ongoing medications including nutritional and herbal supplements to avoid any other drug interaction.
Storage of GLP 1 Pill
You should alway keep your medicine in an air tight container and away from direct sunlight to avoid deterioration of pill.
Also, remember to keep it out of reach from the children and pets.
Frequently Asked Questions
GLP 1 Pill are those pills which mimics the activity of GLP 1 receptor agonist. commonly known GLP 1 Pills are Exenatide, liraglutide and Lixisenatide.
Most of above mentioned GLP 1 pill works by increasing production of insulin from pancreas to maintain blood glucose level.
Most of these pills are pregnancy c pills which are not usually recommended in the pregnancy.
Yes, usually these pills are prescribed for more than 10 days to keep control of your blood sugar level.
Avoid driving vehicle if you feel dizzy or difficult to concentrate after taking this pill.
You should take it within 1 hour of next dose to keep control of your blood sugar level.